It's a boy!
Name: Stay Tuned...
Species: Reticulated Giraffe
Born: 12:55 a.m. / July 10, 2012
Height: 5 feet, 4 inches
Weight: 148 pounds
He's ready for visitors and zoo guests can now see him inside the giraffe barn! This was mom Uzuri’s fourth birth, and labor went quickly and smoothly. The calf was sired by the zoo’s bull giraffe, Mawimbi. In keeping with tradition, the new baby won’t be named for 30 days.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is home to the world’s most prolific captive reticulated giraffe herd, with 195 births at the zoo since 1954. This latest birth brings the current herd to 21. Learn more giraffe facts. View the herd's live giraffe cam!
Join the herd in welcoming the new bundle of joy!
|Win lunch and a private meet and greet with the baby giraffe!
- Visit the zoo between 9:00 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. each day between Friday, July 13 and Sunday, July 29. Regular admission rates apply.
- Enter to win lunch and a private meet and greet at the giraffe feeding hut in African Rift Valley.
- One winner will be drawn at noon each day and announced on the PA system (winner must be on zoo grounds to accept prize). Winner and up to three guests will be treated to lunch at the Grizzly Grill and given V.I.P. access to the giraffe barn.
|Take home a one-of-a-kind giraffe hoof print!
- Be one of the first 50 people to visit the giraffe feeding hut in African Rift Valley between Friday, July 13 and Sunday, July 29.
- The first 50 people each day to mention the promotion will receive a numbered giraffe hoof print taken during the new baby’s neonatal exam – the first-ever print of its kind at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo!
- Regular admissions rates apply. One print per family.