ITíS A BOY!
-- Healthy, active 195th giraffe calf born at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo --
July 11, 2012, Colorado Springs, CO – Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is pleased to welcome the newest member of the family, a male reticulated giraffe calf born yesterday, July 10, just before 1:00 a.m. Veterinary staff performed a neonatal exam this morning, and are happy to report he is healthy, active, and nursing well, which provides essential antibodies to help build his immune system. Staff also collected the very first giraffe calf hoof print for a special commemorative giveaway (see below). He is ready for visitors and zoo guests can now see him inside the giraffe barn. Zookeepers plan to let him outside for the first time later this week.See video of the baby just hours after birth.
This was mom Uzuri’s (You-ZUR-ee) fourth birth, and labor went quickly and smoothly. The calf was sired by the zoo’s bull giraffe, Mawimbi (ma-WIM-bee). The new baby is about 5’4” tall and weighs approximately 148 pounds. In keeping with tradition, he won’t be named for 30 days.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, America’s only mountain zoo, is home to the world’s most prolific captive reticulated giraffe herd, with 195 births at the zoo since 1954. Guests can get up close with 21 giraffe on a special elevated platform and even have the opportunity to feed them.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo invites the public to join the herd in welcoming the new bundle of joy with these unique opportunities:
Win lunch and a private meet and greet with the baby giraffe!
1. Visit the zoo between 9:00 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. each day between Friday, July 13 and Sunday, July 29. Regular admission rates apply.
2. Enter to win lunch and a private meet and greet at the giraffe feeding hut in African Rift Valley.
3. One winner will be drawn at noon each day and announced on the PA system (winner must be on zoo grounds to accept prize). Winner and up to three guests will be treated to lunch at the Grizzly Grill and given V.I.P. access to the giraffe barn.
Take home a one-of-a-kind giraffe hoof print!
1. Be one of the first 50 people to visit the giraffe feeding hut in African Rift Valley between Friday, July 13 and Sunday, July 29.
2. The first 50 people each day to mention the promotion will receive a numbered giraffe hoof print taken during the new baby’s neonatal exam – the first-ever print of its kind at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo! See a photo of the print here.
3. Regular admissions rates apply. One print per family.