Painting Penguin Picassos.
Purchasing penguin art helps penguin conservation.
Painting sessions with African penguins began at CMZoo in 2010 when we thought it could be a fun and unique way to raise awareness about penguin conservation. CMZoo's Quarters for Conservation program supports a project that helps raise and protect wild African penguins, and every time a painting is purchased 50% of the proceeds go to penguin conservation through SANCCOB.
Colorado and Fudge are the main African penguin artists at Cheyenne Mountian Zoo. Other penguins in the flock have tried painting, but these two seem to be the most willing to participate. They are a bonded pair. We tried several techniques while trying to perfect the painting and finally landed on the preferred method, which is:
- Paint colors are chosen by the animal care staff and spread out on plastic trays.
- Paper is then laid down on the ground around the trays.
- The penguins then walk through the trays and onto the paper, creating unique designs and one-of-a-kind pieces of art.
Unique Benefits of Penguin Art
- Painting enriches the penguins lives and stimulates their minds.
- This is a unique opportunity for the penguins that live at CMZ to help their wild counterparts. Every time a painting is purchased, 50% of the proceeds go to penguin conservation.
- Learn more about penguin conservation and SANCCOB.
Penguin Artists Profiles
Colorado Hatch Day: June 25, 1993. Colorado is one of the most outgoing of the African penguin flock. He is one of the first ones to come over and investigate what is going on when we come into the exhibit.
Fudge Hatch Day: October 13, 1986. Fudge is the mate of Colorado. She is also curious and loves to take enrichment items, like boxes and pinecones into their nest box.
Penguin Art Gallery
Original Paintings for Sale:
|Colorado & Fudges' Paintings|| || |
P23 - 5"x7"
P16 - 5" x 7"
P16 - 8" x 10"
Sunset on the Beach
P27 - 8"x 10"
P14 - 11"x 14"
It's All Pink
P25 - 5"x 7"
Hot Pink Footsteps
Note: Paintings pictured may no longer be available.
Try "Surprise Me option - the Zoo chooses my painting" for sale online too!
Details of CMZ Penguin Artwork
- All paper, mats and tape are acid-free
- Each painting is wrapped in a protective plastic sleeve.
- 5" x 7" art is only available matted with an outside edge dimension of 8" x 10".
- 8 x 10 art can be chosen as either unmatted or matted. If chosen as matted it is with an 11 x 14 outside edge dimension.
- 11" x 14" art is only available unmatted.
- Certificate of Authenticity is included with each painting.
- 50% of the proceeds from each purchase goes to penguin conservation.
- On-line images may slightly alter hues of paint colors or centering of paintings in the digitally applied mats (compared to the real mats).
- Foam core backing is NOT included – this is often discarded during the framing process and is not environmentally conscious.
Private Painting Session
Get a private painting session with a penguin! You can select the canvas size and up to four of the available paint colors. The penguin will paint two canvases-and you get your pick.
To Schedule: Call 719.633.9925, ext. 127, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
$250 for up to four guests and up to two pieces of artwork.
Order By Phone:
Phone: Call 719.633.9925, ext. 174, or e-mail email@example.com.
Please indicate the number of the painting you want to purchase and include your contact information.
Orders may take up to 1-2 weeks to process/ship.
Prices5" x 7" paintings matted = $11
8 x 10 paintings unmatted = $17
8 x 10 paintings matted = $22
11" x 14" paintings unmatted = $27
Bookmarks = $1.25 each
*Shipping & handling = $10
* If you pick up your purchase at CMZ there is no shipping/handling charge.