Stop the Waste.
There are lots of ways you can make a difference in our natural world—and recycling is one of the easiest. Even recycling your aluminum cans saves more energy than you might know:
- A used aluminum can is recycled and back on the grocery shelf as a new can in as little as 60 days.
- Making new aluminum cans from used cans takes 95 percent less energy, and 20 recycled cans can be made with the energy needed to produce one can using virgin ore.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to keep a 100-watt bulb burning for almost four hours or to run your television for three hours.
- Throwing away an aluminum can wastes as much energy as pouring out half of the can's volume of gasoline.
- Last year, 54 billion cans were recycled, saving the energy equivalent of 15 million barrels of crude oil—America's entire gas consumption for one day.
There are other ways your recycling can help the environment—and the Zoo:
Recycle used cell phones, printer cartridges and batteries.
ACTION: Bring your old cell phones, ink jet and laser cartridges, and household dry (taped over) batteries (including AA, D, C, lithium and rechargeable batteries) to the Zoo for recycling. We require that the lithium and non-lithium batteries are separated and marked. Thank you!
Recycling your cell phone reduces the need to mine for coltan in gorilla habitat.
- WHERE: Place your recyclable items in the bins at the Zoo admissions booth between 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily.
- IMPACT: We ship these items out in pre-paid boxes to companies that recycle them. They in turn issue checks to us that support our animal conservation programs.
Donate your vehicle to the Zoo.
- ACTION: Donate your used car, truck, RV, boat or motorcycle to the Zoo.
- WHERE: Call Vehicles for Charity at 1 866.628.CARS (2277) or complete the online donation form at www.vehiclesforcharity.org. Please select Cheyenne Mountain Zoo as the recipient of the proceeds from the sale of your vehicle. Paperwork and arrangements for towing your vehicle will be handled at no expense to you. For more information, call 719.633.9925, ext. 115, or e-mail email@example.com.
- IMPACT: Proceeds from the salvage sales will help the Zoo.
Get involved in local recycling.
- ACTION: Learn more about recycling programs in our local community.
- WHERE: Discover Colorado Springs' recycling resources in Conservation Resources.
- IMPACT: Every action we take locally serves greater worldwide resource conservation efforts.
- ACTION: Utilize the available educational resources to help you learn about recycling and the environment.
- WHERE: Check out our Conservation Resources to find informational books, videos and web sites, and then visit the Earth Day Network to find your ecological footprint.
- IMPACT: Knowledge is power, and conservation starts with you.