Encounter Africa provides exquisite habitats for African elephants, lions, meerkats and also brought the majestic black rhinoceros back to the Zoo. Walking into the new exhibit you are engulfed by the African savanna, surrounded by realistic life-sized elephant sculptures, a safari tent and tall African grasses. The views of Colorado Springs seen from the exhibit’s sky bridge remind you that you’re close to the city limits, but walking side by side with the Zoo’s elephants takes you to a different world. Made possible by a $13.5 million capital campaign, it’s the biggest addition in the Zoo’s history.
Encounter Africa is kind of a big deal.
During your visit to Encounter Africa you can experience:
- see elephants taking a dip in an elephant-sized pool or watch them shower under a 20-foot waterfall;
- discover how a black rhino marks his territory with a life-sized interactive rhino sculpture;
- watch the elephants discover their enrichment trees and find snacks suspended throughout the exhibit;
- take photos with life-sized elephant sculptures;
- experience the view from a restored bush plane cantilevered into the black rhino exhibit
- meet our new meerkats, and watch them eat out of an interactive termite mound;
- discover all the features of the elephant barn, and catch a glimpse of our animals rolling in the sand or enjoying an elephant-operated shower; and
- walk across the sky bridge for a spectacular panorama of the city.
With so much to discover you’ll feel that you’ve been whisked away to the African safari.