Bundles of Love.
African Rift Valley Babies
Reticulated giraffe calf female
– Born July 6, 2019 to mother Msitu. Mom and baby girl are both doing well and are meeting guests in the quiet, closely managed giraffe barn. View them on the Giraffe Birth Cam and read the press release.
Reticulated giraffe calf, “Rae”
– Born April 26, 2017 to mother Msitu. Watch for Rae with the rest of the herd, she’s still the smallest one!
Slender-tailed meerkat pups
– Born May 22, 2018. Our meerkat parents, Dusty and Kamikaze, welcomed their third litter of pups on May 22! The experienced mom gave birth to four tiny pups, and she has been proudly showing them off in their exhibit (between giraffes and African lions).
Australia Walkabout Babies
Red-necked wallaby joey, “TBA”
– Born ~March, 2018. We have a new red-necked wallaby joey in our midst! We are so excited to announce this new joey who is just starting to interact with the world outside mother, “Bindi’s” pouch. You can try and spot this newborn in Australia Walkabout.
Red-necked wallaby joey, “Poppy”
– Born ~September 9, 2017. This is the first joey for mother Kiah and father Bugsy, and mom and joey are doing fine. The joey grew inside Kiah’s pouch and is now spending her time out of the pouch with the rest of the wallabies! View The Waterhole article, “Wallaby Babies,” here.
Primate World Babies
Hoffman’s two-toed sloth baby – name TBA
– born at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Tuesday, May 14 at 12:15 p.m. The baby appears to be strong, and first-time mom, 19-year-old Chalupa, is exhibiting quality maternal instincts.
Black Howler Monkey baby – name TBA
– Born Tuesday, March 19 at 3:45 p.m., much to the delight of her keepers, who say mom and baby are bonding quickly and appear to be in good health.
Sumatran orangutan baby, “Kera”
– Born June 6, 2018 at 9:28 p.m., the baby is the third offspring for 30-year-old mom, Sumagu (soo-mah’-goo), and 27-year-old dad, Baka (bah’-kuh). Mother and baby are in their regular exhibit in Primate World, which will be open for guests. Depending on where Sumagu decides to spend time, she and the baby may or may not be visible to guests. “Kera,” means ‘ape’ in Indonesian and it’s also a nod to her father’s full name, “Baka-Keri.” View the press release with photos and/or video link here.
Rocky Mountain Wild Babies
Mexican wolf pup
– Born at 5:10 a.m. Friday, April 19, 2019 to second-time parents, Luna and Navarro, to the excitement of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo staff and guests. The pup appears to be strong, and Luna is exhibiting quality maternal instincts.