An Incredible Journey.
Encounter Africa provides exquisite habitats for African elephants, lions, meerkats and the majestic black rhinoceros. Walking into the exhibit you are engulfed by the African savanna, surrounded by realistic life-sized elephant sculptures, a safari tent and tall African grasses. The views of Colorado Springs seen from the exhibit’s sky bridge remind you that you’re close to the city limits, but walking side by side with the Zoo’s elephants takes you to a different world. Made possible by a $13.5 million capital campaign, it’s the biggest addition in the Zoo’s history. Encounter Africa is kind of a big deal.
During your visit to Encounter Africa you can experience:
- discover how lions hunt with an interactive Cape buffalo sculpture,
- see elephants taking a dip in an elephant-sized pool,
- take photos with life-sized elephant sculptures,
- play in a restored bush plane cantilevered into the black rhino exhibit,
- meet meerkats, and watch them eat out of an interactive termite mound,
- watch lions from three separate viewing areas,
- visit the Wilgruen Elephant Center – catch a glimpse of our animals inside, rolling in the sand or enjoying an elephant-operated shower,
- walk across the sky bridge for a spectacular panorama of the city, and
- meet the animals of Encounter Africa.
With so much to discover you’ll feel that you’ve been whisked away to the African savannah.