Shadow A Real-Life Zookeeper.
Want to be a Zookeeper for a day? Here’s your opportunity to experience caring for animals at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Help clean, feed and interact with the animals through one-on-one experiences with a Zookeeper for a full-day or half-day.
Half day options:
Spend 4 hours on a morning shift from 8:10-12:10 p.m., or an afternoon shift from 1:10-5:10 pm. in ANY animal area available from the list below.
(Please note: African Rift Valley 1 is only available in the afternoon in the summer. Monkey Pavilion is best in the morning in the summer season).
Full day options:
Spend 8 hours between your choice of any TWO animal areas. Morning shift is 8:10-12:10 p.m. (Lunch hour is typically 12:10 -1:10 p.m., you may bring your own sack lunch or purchase food at one of our concessions.), then the afternoon shift is 1:10-5:10 p.m.
Recommended full day animal area combinations:
Pachyderms: Wilgruen Elephant Center
Bears: Monkey Pavilion/Rocky Mountain Wild
Primates: Monkey Pavilion/Primate World
Reptiles: Australia/Scutes Family Gallery
Birds: Australia/African Rift Valley 1
Carnivores: Rocky Mountain Wild/Asian Highlands
Hoofstock: African Rift Valley 2/African Rift Valley 1
Animal Areas Available:
- Encounter Africa (elephants and rhino)
- African Rift Valley 1, (Colobus monkeys, Red River hogs, zebra, meerkats, vultures, tortoises, other birds)
- African Rift Valley 2, (giraffe, lions)
- Australia’s Outback Yard & Scutes Family Gallery (wallabies, budgies, reptiles and tree kangaroo)
- Primate World (orangutans, gorillas, siamangs, tamarins, and naked mole rats)
- Monkeys & Bears (spectacled bears, Asiatic black bears, gibbons, marmosets, mangabey’s and sloths)
- Rocky Mountain Wild/Asian Highlands (moose, wolves, mountain lions, lynx, river otters, grizzly bears, Amur tigers and Amur leopards)
Interested in a different package combination? Just ask when calling to schedule and check availability of your animal areas of interest.
Half day (4 hours)
Full day (8 hours plus 1 hour lunch)
For the safety of both the animals and the participant, proof of a negative tuberculosis test taken within the past year is required if working with primates. (This cost is approximately $20.)
We require that you register for a keeper shadow at least one week prior to the date of participation.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 719-424-7874.