Summer Application Process
- Pay the $20 online application fee per applicant that is required and non-refundable. This fee is only available to pay when applications are open February 1-22, 2021.
- An automatic confirmation email is sent after online payment of the application fee has been made, that will contain the link to the online 2021 Summer Teen Program Application.
How to Apply:
Teens interested in participating in any of our teen programs are encouraged to apply.
- Each teen will go through an application and interview process.
- All teen programs are tuition based.
- Summer Programs run mid-May through mid-August.
- No late applications will be accepted.
- Applicants that are invited to the next step of the process will participate in one or two interviews depending on the program they are applying for. Zoo Crew (12-14 years) and Teen Leaders (15-18 year) have one interview, Junior Zoo Keepers (15-18 years) have one interview with the Teen Program Supervisor and an additional interview with animal keepers.
- Want a bit more information? – Visit our FAQs here
Animal Areas of Opportunity for Junior Zoo Keepers
Responsibilities include helping clean exhibits, prepare animal food diets, creating enrichment and assist with keeper talks when needed. Junior Zoo Keepers work hand in hand with Zoo staff and help with the jobs that are a daily part of a zoo keepers career. It’s a robust position that requires hard work, dedication, attention to detail and self motivation. This position can also be a Teen Leader and/or on the Youth Leadership Advisory Council (YLAC).
Loft: Small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and birds. This area focuses on education and guest engagement.
African Rift Valley 1: Meerkats, zebra, vultures, Red River hogs, African birds and tortoises. (Must have one year of prior Junior Zoo Keeper experience.)
Primate World: Gorillas, orangutans, siamangs, golden lion tamarins and naked mole rats.
African Rift Valley 2: Giraffe, African lions
Conservation Highlands: Amur tigers, snow leopards, Amur leopards, Pallas’s cats, boreal toads and black-footed ferrets. (Must have one year of prior Junior Zoo Keeper experience)
Rocky Mountain Wild: Moose, mountain lions, Mexican wolves, lynx, porcupines, turkeys, grizzly bears and river otters.
Encounter Africa: Elephants and rhino.
My Big Back Yard/Goat Yard: Goats, turkeys, chickens. This area focuses on education and guest engagement.
Commissary: Animal Diet Kitchen
Australia/Scutes Family Gallery: Wallabies, budgies, alligators, tree kangaroo, reptiles, emus
All summer Teen Programs combine hands-on:
– conservation, wildlife biology and outdoor adventure
– international travel opportunities and community service
– job skills, education, leadership and FUN!
This program offers opportunities 7 days a week for Junior Zoo Keepers, with an online sign-up process so families can look through their schedule together and sign-up accordingly.
- Experience what it takes to be a zoo keeper, with real-world experience in our education, animal, and commissary departments.
- Minimum amount of participation hours per teen required depends upon the animal area the teen works in.
- Gain personal Zoo experience so you can make informed career decisions.
- Develop a strong work ethic and problem solving skills.
- Acquire knowledge and skills surrounding animal care procedures alongside experienced animal keepers.
All fees for all sessions includes one t-shirt, name tag and reusable beverage cup, as well as daily supervision, program supplies and materials, keeper talks and tours, special afternoon workshops, orientation, end of season party and more!
SUMMER TEEN PROGRAM FEES*
Zoo Crew price per teen (ages 12-14):
$600.75 for our 3-month summer session, plus 1-month of training
Junior Zoo Keeper and Teen Leader price per teen (ages 15-18):
$500.75 for our 3-month summer session, plus 1-month of training
OFF-SEASON TEEN PROGRAM FEES*
All Teens (Zoo Crew, Junior Zoo Keepers &/or Teen Core) price per teen:
$300.75 per session; Fall, Winter or Spring.
– *These program fees do not include EdVenture trip fees.
– Full payment of the program session is due 48 hours prior to the first day of the session.
– Note: 75¢ from each Teen Program Registration goes to Quarters for Conservation, which expands Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s regional and global conservation efforts.
Summer Scholarship Information
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has a scholarship fund for its Summer Teen Program and is committed to working with families to make sure price is not a limiting factor in their child’s experience.
- Due to limited funding, only partial scholarships will be awarded.
- Scholarships apply to the Zoo’s Summer Teen Program.
- Criteria for selecting children for the program is based upon a first come, first served and need basis.
Applications for Summer Teen Program Scholarships must be submitted using this form between February 1 – February 22, with decisions be made no later than May 1. Download the Summer Teen Program Scholarship Form
Email [email protected]
or call 719-424-7827
EdVenture Refunds, Cancellations or Changes
A refund request must be received no less than TWO WEEKS prior to the start of the program. If approved, the Zoo will refund the amount of the fee minus a $25 non-refundable deposit. No refunds will be given after two weeks prior to the start of the program.
*If you are participating in an extended EdVenture Program (Zoo Crew, Junior Zookeeper, etc.) please send an email to the program specific supervisor to discuss refund options and policies.
We do not issue refunds for parties that do not show for their reservation. If you need to cancel or reschedule your event, please refer to the confirmation email received upon registration. For further inquiry, please email [email protected].
If the Zoo is closed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen events, we will issue you a full refund (less the non-refundable deposit) or you may reschedule the event to the next available date and apply all payments already made toward your reservation to the new reservation.
The Zoo reserves the right to cancel a program due to lack of enrollment or unforeseen circumstances in which the Zoo is closed. If the Zoo is closed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen events, we will issue you a full refund (less the non-refundable deposit) or you may reschedule the event to the next available date and apply all payments already made toward your reservation to the new reservation.