Summer Application Process
- Pay the $20 online application fee per applicant that is required and non-refundable. This fee is only available to pay when applications are open February 1-22, 2021.
- An automatic confirmation email is sent after online payment of the application fee has been made, that will contain the link to the online 2021 Summer Teen Program Application.
How to Apply:
Teens interested in participating in any of our teen programs are encouraged to apply.
- Each teen will go through an application and interview process.
- All teen programs are tuition based.
- Summer Programs run mid-May through mid-August.
- No late applications will be accepted.
- Applicants that are invited to the next step of the process will participate in one or two interviews depending on the program they are applying for. Zoo Crew (12-14 years) and Teen Leaders (15-18 year) have one interview, Junior Zoo Keepers (15-18 years) have one interview with the Teen Program Supervisor and an additional interview with animal keepers.
- Want a bit more information? – Visit our FAQs here
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is looking for responsible high school leaders who:
- love animals
- are interested in mentoring their younger peers as CMZ ambassadors, leading conservation initiatives and education programs.
- seek to gain valuable training including leadership, interpretive education, peer mediation, communication and animal handling.
Teen Leader Opportunities – Based on Teen’s Interest:
- CAMP COUNSELOR IN TRAINING: Assist camp counselors with leading the daily activities and helping zoo crew explorers.
- LOFT INTERPRETIVE EDUCATOR: Engage guests through the use of live animals, group lessons, and keeper talks.
- EXPLORER GUIDE: Acting as a positive role model, teens will mentor the 12 to 14 year old Zoo Crew Explorers traveling from station to station teaching and assisting with guest interactions.
- CMZOO AMBASSADOR: As teen leaders walk around the Zo,o they will also help as guest navigators/Zoo ambassadors.
**Teens interested in participating in both Teen keeper and Teen Leader programs are encouraged to apply for both as a package.**
All summer Teen Programs combine hands-on:
– conservation, wildlife biology, outdoor adventure
– international travel opportunities, community service
– job skills, education, leadership and FUN!
This program offers opportunities 7 days a week with an online sign-up process, so families can look through their schedule together and sign-up accordingly. There is a minimum amount of 120 participation hours per teen required over the duration of the summer program.
This program will allow older teens to create their own path choosing projects and duties that interest them.
All fees for all sessions includes one t-shirt, name tag and reusable beverage cup, as well as daily supervision, program supplies and materials, keeper talks and tours, special afternoon workshops, orientation, end of season party and more!
SUMMER TEEN PROGRAM FEES*
Zoo Crew price per teen (ages 12-14):
$600.75 for our 3-month summer session, plus 1-month of training
Junior Zoo Keeper and Teen Leader price per teen (ages 15-18):
$500.75 for our 3-month summer session, plus 1-month of training
OFF-SEASON TEEN PROGRAM FEES*
All Teens (Zoo Crew, Junior Zoo Keepers &/or Teen Core) price per teen:
$300.75 per session; Fall, Winter or Spring.
– *These program fees do not include EdVenture trip fees.
– Full payment of the program session is due 48 hours prior to the first day of the session.
– Note: 75¢ from each Teen Program Registration goes to Quarters for Conservation, which expands Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s regional and global conservation efforts.
Summer Scholarship Information
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has a scholarship fund for its Summer Teen Program and is committed to working with families to make sure price is not a limiting factor in their child’s experience.
- Due to limited funding, only partial scholarships will be awarded.
- Scholarships apply to the Zoo’s Summer Teen Program.
- Criteria for selecting children for the program is based upon a first come, first served and need basis.
Applications for Summer Teen Program Scholarships must be submitted using this form between February 1 – February 22, with decisions be made no later than May 1. Download the Summer Teen Program Scholarship Form
Email [email protected]
or call 719-424-7827
EdVenture Refunds, Cancellations or Changes
A refund request must be received no less than TWO WEEKS prior to the start of the program. If approved, the Zoo will refund the amount of the fee minus a $25 non-refundable deposit. No refunds will be given after two weeks prior to the start of the program.
*If you are participating in an extended EdVenture Program (Zoo Crew, Junior Zookeeper, etc.) please send an email to the program specific supervisor to discuss refund options and policies.
We do not issue refunds for parties that do not show for their reservation. If you need to cancel or reschedule your event, please refer to the confirmation email received upon registration. For further inquiry, please email [email protected].
If the Zoo is closed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen events, we will issue you a full refund (less the non-refundable deposit) or you may reschedule the event to the next available date and apply all payments already made toward your reservation to the new reservation.
The Zoo reserves the right to cancel a program due to lack of enrollment or unforeseen circumstances in which the Zoo is closed. If the Zoo is closed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen events, we will issue you a full refund (less the non-refundable deposit) or you may reschedule the event to the next available date and apply all payments already made toward your reservation to the new reservation.