Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is looking for responsible high school leaders who:
- love animals
- are interested in mentoring their younger peers as CMZ ambassadors, leading conservation initiatives and education programs.
- seek to gain valuable training including leadership, interpretive education, peer mediation, communication and animal handling.
Teen Leader Opportunities – Based on Teen’s Interest:
- CAMP COUNSELOR IN TRAINING: Assist camp counselors with leading the daily activities and helping zoo crew explorers.
- LOFT INTERPRETIVE EDUCATOR: Engage guests through the use of live animals, group lessons, and keeper talks.
- EXPLORER GUIDE: Acting as a positive role model, teens will mentor the 12 to 14 year old Zoo Crew Explorers traveling from station to station teaching and assisting with guest interactions.
- CMZOO AMBASSADOR: As teen leaders walk around the Zo,o they will also help as guest navigators/Zoo ambassadors.
**Teens interested in participating in both Teen keeper and Teen Leader programs are encouraged to apply for both as a package.**
All summer Teen Programs combine hands-on:
– conservation, wildlife biology, outdoor adventure
– international travel opportunities, community service
– job skills, education, leadership and FUN!
This program offers opportunities 7 days a week with an online sign-up process, so families can look through their schedule together and sign-up accordingly. There is a minimum amount of 120 participation hours per teen required over the duration of the summer program.
This program will allow older teens to create their own path choosing projects and duties that interest them.
All fees for all sessions includes one t-shirt, name tag and reusable beverage cup, as well as daily supervision, program supplies and materials, keeper talks and tours, special afternoon workshops, orientation, end of season party and more!
Application fee: a $25 non-refundable fee for each applicant/application is required to begin the application process.
SUMMER TEEN PROGRAM FEES*
Zoo Crew price per teen (Middle School, 6th – 8th grades):
$700.75 for our 3-month summer session, plus 1-month of training
Junior Zoo Keeper and Teen Leader price per teen (High School, 9th – 12th grades):
$600.75 for our 3-month summer session, plus 1-month of training
OFF-SEASON TEEN PROGRAM FEES*
All Teens (Zoo Crew, Junior Zoo Keepers &/or Teen Core) price per teen:
$400.75 per session; Fall, Winter or Spring.
– *These program fees do not include EdVenture trip fees.
– Full payment of the program session is due 48 hours prior to the first day of the session.
– Note: 75¢ from each Teen Program Registration goes to Quarters for Conservation, which expands Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s regional and global conservation efforts.
Summer Scholarship Information
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has a scholarship fund for its Summer Teen Program and is committed to working with families to make sure price is not a limiting factor in their child’s experience.
- Due to limited funding, only partial scholarships will be awarded.
- Scholarships apply to the Zoo’s Summer Teen Program.
- Criteria for selecting children for the program is based upon a first come, first served and need basis.
- Once accepted into a season Teen Program, you will receive information about scholarships available through our Teen Program Portal.
EdVenture Refunds, Cancellations or Changes
A refund request must be received no less than TWO WEEKS prior to the start of the program. If approved, the Zoo will refund the amount of the fee minus 25% of the program fee. No refunds will be given after two weeks prior to the start of the program.
*If you are participating in an extended EdVenture Program (Zoo Crew, Junior Zookeeper, etc.) please send an email to the program specific supervisor to discuss refund options and policies.
We do not issue refunds for parties that do not show for their reservation. If you need to cancel or reschedule your event, please refer to the confirmation email received upon registration. For further inquiry, please email [email protected].
If the Zoo is closed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen events, we will issue you a full refund (less the non-refundable deposit) or you may reschedule the event to the next available date and apply all payments already made toward your reservation to the new reservation.
The Zoo reserves the right to cancel a program due to lack of enrollment or unforeseen circumstances in which the Zoo is closed. If the Zoo is closed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen events, we will issue you a full refund (less the non-refundable deposit) or you may reschedule the event to the next available date and apply all payments already made toward your reservation to the new reservation.