4-mile Run/Walk – Run like an Animal!
Run to the Shrine has become an annual Cheyenne Mountain Zoo tradition, and it is the only day of the year that guests are allowed to travel up to the Shrine of the Sun by foot! In addition, Run to the Shrine is an important fundraiser for the Zoo.
– Run to the Shrine 2021 will not be a timed run/walk. Runners and walkers will have access to start the ascent up Shrine Road from the time they arrive until 6:30 p.m. You will have the option to enjoy Shrine Road and the rest of the Zoo (including animals!) at your pace. Visit Shrine Road, animal exhibits and food outlets at your leisure. Shrine Road will close to pedestrians at 7:30 p.m., so be sure to finish your round trip to the Shrine gate before then.
– Capacity for Run to the Shrine has been limited. Advance registration is required; no registrations available at the front gate.
– Check-in will be at the front gate from 3:20 p.m. to 5 p.m. Advance registration tickets are required for all run/walk participants and guests, including children 2 & under.
– Please be in line to enter the Zoo within 20 minutes after your ticketed time.
– Early arrivals or arrivals later than 20 minutes past your ticketed entry time may not be accommodated. If you arrive early for your time slot, please wait in your car until your entry time begins. Arriving during your designated arrival time will help us manage traffic flow into our parking lot and through the admission gates.
– Once you enter the Zoo, you are welcome to stay until the event ends at 8 p.m. Shrine Road access will end at 7:30 p.m.
– Spectator tickets must be purchased in advance. No ticket sales at the front gate. Tickets can be reserved via the links provided in the confirmation email sent to registered runners. Spectator tickets do not include access to Shrine Road or any of the benefits of Run to the Shrine registration. These tickets are for CMZoo access during the event only. Only registered participants are permitted on the course above the top of the Zoo.
– Jogging strollers are welcome as long as they have the proper safety equipment (tethers and hand brakes required). Strollers without this specific safety equipment will be turned around at the top of the Zoo for safety.
– For the safety of all participants, we do not allow skateboards, roller blades/inline skates/Heely’s®, bicycles or pets on the run course.
– Bring your own hydration. Water stations will be limited, for the safety of runners and walkers.
– Food and beverages will be available for purchase at the Grizzly Grill.
– Your commemorative performance T-shirt, featuring this year’s lemur mascot, will be available for pick up in Lodge at Moose Lake. Donation gifts will also be available in Lodge at Moose Lake, for those who have raised $100 or more.
– This year’s Run to the Shrine will only include access to Shrine Road up to the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun’s parking lot gate. The Shrine grounds and buildings will be closed during the event.
– All fees are non-refundable. Run to the Shrine will go on as scheduled rain or shine, so please come prepared for inclement weather.
– The race fee is not tax deductible, but any additional donations are tax deductible.
Highlights of Run to the Shrine
Your Entry Fee Includes:
- A 4-mile course that curves through the Zoo, up to the gate of the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun and back down into the Zoo.
- Ascend almost 1,000 feet, with stunning views of Colorado Springs below.
- Commemorative performance T-shirt, available for pick up in Lodge at Moose Lake during the event.
- Accommodations for jogging strollers with safety equipment (tethers and hand brakes required) for families.
- Registration includes admission to the Zoo until the end of the event at 8 p.m.
- It’s your only opportunity all year to travel the Shrine Road by foot!