Spectacular from afar. Breathtaking from the top.
This historic monument is 1.4 miles up the Russell Tutt Scenic Highway from the Zoo entrance. Built by Spencer Penrose between 1934 and 1937, it stands dedicated to Will Rogers, who died in a plane crash in 1935. The elevation of the Will Rogers Shrine is 8,136 feet on the top deck and provides breathtaking views of Colorado Springs, the Pikes Peak Region and Eastern Plains. Learn more
Open 7 days*, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (last car up at 3 p.m.)
See holiday closures and special event hours below.
– Your Zoo admission includes a drive to the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun for that day, whether you choose to visit the Zoo or not.
– You must have paid Zoo admission for each person in the car. Advance e-tickets are required.
– Go to cmzoo.org/visit for etickets and details.
- Drive up to the Zoo entrance gate and show your admission receipt.
- The road to the Shrine of the Sun is drive-up only; no walking or biking is permitted (except during Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s annual Run to the Shrine).
Will Rogers Shrine is uniquely situated on the side of Cheyenne Mountain. Visitors should prepare for unpredictable weather conditions and bring their own water. The Shrine’s interior rooms, the chapel and restrooms are only accessible by stairs. The walk from the parking lot to the Shrine is approximately 50 yards uphill.
*Holiday closures and special event hours
The Shrine is closed on most holidays, except for a two during the summer, see below.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – closed
President’s Day – closed
Good Friday – closed
Easter – closed
Run to the Shrine (May 2023 TBA) – Shrine closes at 3 p.m. (last car up at 1:30 p.m.) for Run to the Shrine
Memorial Day – OPEN
Moonlight on the Mountain (June 2023 TBA) – Shrine closes at 2:30 p.m. (last car up at 1:30 p.m.) for Moonlight on the Mountain
Independence Day – OPEN
Labor Day – closed
Columbus Day – closed
Boo at the Zoo (October 21-23, 28-31, 2022) – Shrine closes at 2 p.m. (last car up at 1 p.m.), each day of Boo at the Zoo
Veteran’s Day – closed
Thanksgiving Day – closed
Day after Thanksgiving – closed
Electric Safari (December 2-4, 9-23, 26 – January 1, 2023) – Shrine closes at 1 p.m. (last car up at 12 p.m.), each day of Electric Safari
Christmas Eve – closed
Christmas Day – closed
New Year’s Eve – closed
New Year’s Day – closed
– The Shrine is owned and operated by El Pomar Foundation, and may have different hours of operation than the Zoo.
– The Shrine is subject to closure due to inclement weather and/or adverse road conditions without prior notice, and due to special events. Please call ahead to confirm.
– El Pomar Foundation does not allow professional or amateur photography on any historic properties, including Will Rogers Shrine.
– Anytime the Zoo closes early, the last car up to the Shrine will be one hour prior to the Zoo’s closing time (the same time as our last Zoo admission).