Spectacular from afar. Breathtaking from the top.
This historic monument is 1.4 miles up the Russell Tutt Scenic Highway from the Zoo entrance. Built by Spencer Penrose between 1934 and 1937, it stands dedicated to Will Rogers, who died in a plane crash in 1935. The elevation of the Will Rogers Shrine is 8,136 feet on the top deck and provides breathtaking views of Colorado Springs, the Pikes Peak Region and Eastern Plains. Learn more
Open 7 days*, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Last car up at 3 p.m.)
*See holiday closures and special event hours below.
– Your Zoo admission includes a drive to the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun for that day, whether you choose to visit the Zoo or not.
– You must have paid Zoo admission for each person in the car. Advance e-tickets are required.
– Go to cmzoo.org/visit for etickets and details.
- Drive up to the Zoo entrance gate and show your admission receipt.
- The road to the Shrine of the Sun is drive-up only; no walking or biking is permitted (except during Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s annual Run to the Shrine).
Holiday closures and special event hours:
The Shrine is closed on most holidays, except for a few during the summer, see below.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – closed
President’s Day – closed
Good Friday – closed
Easter – closed
May 15, 2021 (Saturday), 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Last car up at 1:30 p.m.) for Run to the Shrine
May 16, 2021 (Sunday), 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Last car up at 1:30 p.m.) for Run to the Shrine
Memorial Day – OPEN
Independence Day – OPEN
Labor Day – OPEN
Columbus Day – closed
Boo at the Zoo – Shrine closes at 12 p.m. (last car up at 11 a.m.), each day of Boo at the Zoo
Veteran’s Day – closed
Thanksgiving Day – closed
Day after Thanksgiving – closed
Electric Safari – Shrine closes at 1 p.m. (last car up at 12 p.m.), each day of Electric Safari
Christmas Eve – closed
Christmas Day – closed
New Year’s Eve – closed
New Year’s Day – closed
– The Shrine is owned and operated by El Pomar Foundation, and may have different hours of operation than the Zoo.
– The Shrine is subject to closure due to inclement weather and/or adverse road conditions without prior notice, and due to special events. Please call ahead to confirm.
– El Pomar Foundation does not allow professional or amateur photography on any historic properties, including Will Rogers Shrine.
– Anytime the Zoo closes early, the last car up to the Shrine will be one hour prior to the Zoo’s closing time (the same time as our last Zoo admission).