Spectacular from afar. Breathtaking from the top.
This historic monument is 1.4 miles up the Russell Tutt Scenic Highway from the Zoo entrance. Built by Spencer Penrose between 1934 and 1937, it stands dedicated to Will Rogers, who died in a plane crash in 1935. The elevation of the Will Rogers Shrine is 8,136 feet on the top deck and provides breathtaking views of Colorado Springs, the Pikes Peak Region and Eastern Plains. Learn more
Open Tuesdays – Sundays, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (last car up at 3 p.m.)
Closed on Mondays. See holiday closures and special event hours below.
– Your Zoo admission includes a drive to the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun for that day, whether you choose to visit the Zoo or not.
– You must have paid Zoo admission for each person in the car. Advance tickets are required.
– Go to cmzoo.org/visit for advance timed tickets and details.
- Drive up to the Zoo entrance gate and show your Zoo admission receipt.
- The road to the Shrine of the Sun is drive-up only; no walking or biking is permitted (except during Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s annual Run to the Shrine).
Will Rogers Shrine is uniquely situated on the side of Cheyenne Mountain. Visitors should prepare for unpredictable weather conditions and bring their own water. The Shrine’s interior rooms, the chapel and restrooms are only accessible by stairs. The walk from the parking lot to the Shrine is approximately 50 yards uphill.
*Holiday closures and special event hours for Will Rogers Shrine
The Shrine is closed on most holidays, except for two during the summer, see below.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – closed
President’s Day – closed
Easter – closed
Run to the Shrine (May 18 & 19, 2024) – early closure
Memorial Day – OPEN
Moonlight on the Mountain (June 27, 2024) – early closure
Independence Day, July 4 – OPEN
Labor Day – closed
Columbus Day – closed
Boo at the Zoo (October 20-22, 27-29 & 31, 2023) – Shrine closes early at 2 p.m. (last car up at 1 p.m.),
Veterans Day – closed
Thanksgiving Day – closed
Day after Thanksgiving – closed
Electric Safari (December 1-3, 8-23, 25-January 1, 2024) – Shrine closes early at 1:30 p.m., if open (last car up at 12:30 p.m.)
Day before Christmas Eve, December 23 – early closure at 12 p.m. (last car up at 11 a.m.)
Christmas Eve, December 24 – Shrine closes early at 2 p.m. (last car up at 1 p.m.)
Christmas Day, December 25 – closed
Day after Christmas, December 26 – closed
Day before New Year’s Eve, December 30 – early closure at 12 p.m. (last car up at 11 a.m.)
New Year’s Eve, December 31 – Shrine closes early at 1:30 p.m. (last car up at 12:30 p.m.)
New Year’s Day, January 1 – closed
Day after New Year’s Day, January 2 – closed
– The Shrine is owned and operated by El Pomar Foundation, and may have different hours of operation than the Zoo.
– The Shrine is subject to closure due to inclement weather and/or adverse road conditions without prior notice, and due to special events. Please call ahead to confirm.
– El Pomar Foundation does not allow professional or amateur photography on any historic properties, including Will Rogers Shrine.
– Anytime the Zoo closes early, the last car up to the Shrine will be one hour prior to the Zoo’s closing time (the same time as our last Zoo admission).